Tribe Sober – inspiring an alcohol-free life!
My guest this week is Dr Avishkar Sabharwal who specialises in Obesity and Lifestyle Medicine.
Avishkar has a passion for helping people suffering from lifestyle diseases, especially obesity. He aims to help people facing obesity get their lives back on track.
In this Episode
- Avishkar suffered from obesity himself and has developed a passion to help others who have this problem
- We talked about the relationship between alcohol and obesity and Avishkar explained that alcohol is a source of empty calories
- Not only does alcohol have a detrimental effect on every part of our body, but so too is it a source of empty calories
- Even though alcohol adds no nutritional value at all to our bodies, it will still cause us to put on weight
- We discussed the similarities of dealing with a weight problem and alcohol dependence – and the importance of mindset for both
- We talked about the fact that food has always been a “social binder” within communities but these days it includes “non foods”
- “Non foods” are essentially junk foods – nutrient-deficient yet acting on our addictive pathways (like alcohol)
- We agreed that accountability is hugely important – whether we are losing weight or giving up alcohol we need community
- I explained that at Tribe Sober we encouraged accountability via our Annual Trackers and Sober Buddies
- Avishkar stressed the importance of dealing with “underlying causes” – whether for alcohol or obesity – therapy may be required
- We discussed Intermittent Fasting as a way of dealing with excess weight, and also meal replacements
- Both of these methods are effective but it’s important to choose a program which will be sustainable
- Avishkar has a free Facebook Community to help people wishing to lose weight – go to www.decodingobsesity.com for link
- He also has a weekly podcast called Decoding Obesity – available on Apple, Spotify, etc
- If you would like a copy of the Annual Tracker (for logging your alcohol-free days) email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscription membership – you can join up HERE
- To access our website click HERE
- If you would like a free copy of our e-book “66 days to sobriety” please email email@example.com
- If you would like to come to our Saturday afternoon Zoom Cafe as a guest and meet our community just email firstname.lastname@example.org
This episode is sponsored by the Tribe Sober Membership Program. If you want to change your relationship with alcohol then sign up today.
Read more about our program and subscribe HERE
Book a Discovery Call with me to find out if our membership would help you – calendar on homepage of tribesober.com
Help us to spread the word!
We made this podcast so that we can reach more people who need our help. Please subscribe and share.
We release a podcast episode every Saturday morning.
You can follow Tribe Sober on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and join our Tribe Sober Club on Clubhouse – are on Clubhouse every Sunday afternoon at 5pm SA time so come join the conversation.
You can catch our FB live on Saturday mornings (11am SAST) and you can join our private Facebook group HERE
Thank you for listening!
Till Next Week