Tribe Sober – inspiring an alcohol-free life!
My guest this week is British Psychiatrist, Dr Tony Rao. He is an international expert of alcohol misuse in older people – with more than 20 years experience in this area.
He works with Baby Boomers in the UK who have alcohol issues – I was one of those for many years so found this conversation fascinating.
In this Episode
- Dr Tony explains how his interest in the field started with his parents who were both medics
- He believes it’s essential to understand the community his patients are from if he is to understand their problems
- The baby boomer generation is more susceptible to alcohol abuse as we grew up with very different cultural attitudes
- We believed it was OK to get drunk sometimes and the “work hard, play hard” ethos was encouraged in many corporates
- After decades of drinking, the older generation have not even tried to cut down – many of them rely on it more as they get older
- Dr Tony believes that the “low risk” limits for alcohol should be reduced for older people as our bodies are less resilient
- Extra risks for older people include falls, mixing with medications and the fact that it takes longer to metabolize
- We agreed that although people are living longer, the emphasis should be on “living well” for the last 10 years
- Alcohol and Covid – not a good mix as both stimulate inflammation, causing a cytokine storm, which can reduce survival changes
- Dr Tony advises that we take the low risk limits seriously and reach out for help if we need it – there is always help
- He has written a book called “Catch Me When I Fall” which dramatises the issue – available via Audible
- Subscription membership – you can join up HERE
- To access our website click HERE
- If you would like a free copy of our e-book “66 days to sobriety” please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like to come to our Saturday afternoon Zoom Cafe as a guest and meet our community just email email@example.com
This episode is sponsored by the Tribe Sober Membership Program. If you want to change your relationship with alcohol then sign up today.
Read more about our program and subscribe HERE
Help us to spread the word!
We made this podcast so that we can reach more people who need our help. Please subscribe and share.
We release a podcast episode every Saturday morning.
You can follow Tribe Sober on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
You can catch our FB live on Saturday mornings (11am SAST) and you can join our private Facebook group HERE
Thank you for listening!
Till Next Week