Tribe Sober – Inspiring an Alcohol-free Life!
After running Tribe Sober for 5 years and helping hundreds of people to ditch the drink and embrace alcohol-free living, I’ve learned a thing or two. My biggest insight has been that sharing our stories around alcohol is the most powerful way we can help others – that’s why the heart of this podcast is recovery stories.
We are, however, also interviewing some experts over the next few episodes – we’ve got a doctor, a psychiatrist, a professor, a journalist – and this week we kick off by interviewing Mauritian scientist, Jean Deenmamode, about the CDT test.
In this Episode
- Jean takes us through his career development and explains how he first came across CDT testing back in 2008
- He explains how the traditional “liver function” that many of us rely on is just not a reliable indicator of whether or not alcohol is harming our health
- Alcohol harms many other parts of our bodies, so there is no reason to focus only on the liver – for example, it is linked to 7 different types of cancer
- The CDT test is a simple blood test that will show elevated markers if a person has been regularly drinking half a bottle of wine or more
- These elevated markers are a clear indication that alcohol is taking its toll on the body and that a change needs to be made
- It’s not a test that puts people in a box and calls them an “alcoholic – it’s a lifestyle assessment that can prompt them to change their drinking habits
- Seeing the results in black and white (as a number) can make all the difference – and often shocks people into taking action
- If people do a CDT test they get an early warning and may be able to adjust their consumption, rather than having to stop drinking completely
- If you drink within the low risk limits of one and a half of bottles a week, you are unlikely to be harming your health
- When a patient presents with anxiety/depression, a doctor can do a CDT test to open the conversation about the patients drinking habits
- Alcohol increases anxiety and when people give up drinking their anxiety will often lift
- The test is inexpensive (30 Euros, R600) and can be arranged by your Doctor
- Tribe Sober members can contact Dr Judy who will arrange for the test
- If you are unable to source the test then you can contact Jean Deenmamode directly on +44(0)7917026152 or email@example.com
Subscription membership – you can join up HERE
To access our website click HERE
This episode is sponsored by the Tribe Sober Membership Program. If you want to change your relationship with alcohol then sign up today.
Read more about our membership program and subscribe HERE.
Help us to spread the word!
We made this podcast so that we can reach more people who need our help. Please subscribe and share.
We release a podcast episode every Saturday morning.
You can follow Tribe Sober on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
You can join our private Facebook group HERE
Thank you for listening!
Till Next Week