July 4, 2020
Tribe Sober – Inspiring an Alcohol-free Life!
After running Tribe Sober for 5 years and helping hundreds of people to ditch the drink and embrace alcohol-free living, I’ve learned a thing or two. My biggest insight has been that sharing our stories around alcohol is the most powerful way we can help others – that’s why the heart of this podcast is recovery stories.
In this episode I interview Marietjie Tame. She came along to a workshop with a few months of sobriety under her belt. She was feeling a bit low and wanted to meet other people on the journey and get inspired about alcohol-free living. It worked – and she is now 2+ years sober.
In this Episode
- It happened to many of us – alcohol gradually crept up on her over the years, and she gradually became dependent
- Marietjie knew she was in trouble when she felt the need to drink shots after a night of drinking beer – to chase the buzz
- She once did 14 alcohol-free months and then had one shooter on her birthday and decided she could moderate
- That’s how she learned the hard lesson that there was no such thing as moderation for her – only escalation
- Her wake up call came when she heard that her daughter was in hospital and felt irritated because she had to stop drinking
- She went through a “low” a few months into sobriety – but realised that this “void” was a golden moment of discovery
- Alcohol had put a wall between herself – and herself – and she was determined to tear that wall down in spite of her pain
- She used “The Sober Diaries” as a reference book as she progressed towards sobriety
- Tribe Sober opened a whole new world for her – connecting with the Tribe and discovering QuitLit, podcasts and AF drinks
- Marietjie’s top 3 benefits are a life without regrets, being available to the people who need her – and getting her mind back
To access our website click HERE and to read about subscription membership click HERE.
This episode is sponsored by the Tribe Sober Membership Program. If you want to change your relationship with alcohol then sign up today. Read more about our membership program and subscribe HERE.