June 13, 2020
Tribe Sober – Inspiring an Alcohol-free Life!
After running Tribe Sober for 5 years and helping hundreds of people to ditch the drink and embrace alcohol-free living, I’ve learned a thing or two. My biggest insight has been that sharing our stories around alcohol is the most powerful way we can help others – that’s why the heart of this podcast is recovery stories.
In this episode I interview an important member of our Tribe Sober team – Jen Luiz. She came along to a workshop a few years ago, ditched the drink and then became our resident “Activist”. Jen is very vocal on Twitter (@JenLuiz) which she uses to call out people who are misrepresenting alcohol in the media.
In this Episode
- Jen talks about her personal struggles with alcohol
- She describes how her world had shrunk until her wine was the only thing that interested her
- She explains how she felt like an utter failure – as a wife and as a mum
- Jen heard Janet on the radio, booked a workshop and recently celebrated 3 years sober!
- She explains how important journaling has been (and still is) to get (and stay) on track
- As someone who went back to “Day 1” many times, she urges people to be tough on themselves and power through
- Once Jen got to 100 alcohol-free days and started experiencing the benefits of sobriety, she found it easier
- She is experiencing so many benefits – clarity of thought particularly – that she feels she is living her best life
- Jen still misses wine occasionally, but is go grateful for the benefits of sobriety she will never drink again
- We discussed the “normalisation” of alcohol and how apparent this becomes when you stop drinking
- Alcohol has become the “only drug you have to justify not taking” due to constant glamorization by the media
- She hates the “mommy juice” culture and the fact that the wine industry targets women
- Ironically “Women’s Health” magazine is always pushing alcohol, and Jen has written to them several times
To access our website click HERE and to read about subscription membership click HERE. To read some of Jen’s awesome letters check out our Activists Corner HERE
This episode is sponsored by the Tribe Sober Membership Program. If you want to change your relationship with alcohol then sign up today. Read more about our our membership program and subscribe HERE.